Friday, April 6, 2012

So this is happening...

I have been playing around with the idea of starting a blog for years now, but never could seem to pull the theoretical trigger. But I guess since I am typing this, and you are reading it, consider trigger pulled... BANG BANG bitches!

So about five minutes ago when I decided that I was actually going to do this whole babbling about what is on my mind if for nothing else but a sanity check, possibly an ego pet, my first question to myself was "what the hell am I going to call this thing?" Nicknames seemed like the first logical choice, and unlike some people I know, I am the glue to life's rubber.

I have had many a nickname in my 27-year lifetime. Starting off with the big sister crowning of "Lil Bit." I guess I never really asked her where that came from, or maybe she told me, my memory sucks like that, but I can only assume that it has something to do with her name being Mary Elizabeth, and her overwhelming desire to kick the ball-and-chain middle name of hers to the curb. The announcement of my conception was her moment to strike. What better way to drop the Elizabeth of her title than to convince Mom and Dad to name their second daughter that very name? And honestly, not a long shot really, the only other name as popular as Mary in our family is Elizabeth. If you haven't already put two and two together, we are Catholic. Turns out, it only granted her a five letter break, but hey Mary Beth ain't bad, right? Maybe she was giving me a two letter break due to my irresistible cuteness when I was younger... Lil Bitch fits just as well though, depending on the day.

Skipping all the usual playground jabs, the other big nickname contenders of my life so far are Lizaster and Liz 2.0. After the cautionary Google search, I found that "A Beautiful Lizaster" isn't as original as one might lead themselves to believe; dare I say, "Lizaster" as a blog title in general is what some would call cliche.

Damn you, Liz Lemon! **fists shaking in the air**

I will go to my grave saying that I was awarded that nickname first; thanks to a radio ranch brainstorming session where one very clever Michelle Ryan had a light bulb moment when picking my on-air name for my new afternoon gig. Definitely a winner, but what wouldn't in comparison to Liz Hitler? Don't ask. But turns out we aren't on a sitcom and the moment was not captured on film... until one week later on 30 Rock, of course. Truly, a beautiful Lizaster. But no worries, I am no stranger to being the second of this name... some might even say the better of the two. But you know how people can talk.

So there you have it, welcome to Lizaster 2.0, kids. As far as pulling triggers go, I am bustin caps in this bitch!

3 comments: